Northport may delay wharf-upgrading work


NORTHPORT is considering to delay the upgrading of one of its wharfs due to the economic slowdown.

“I understand that Northport is considering holding back the upgrade but whether they should hold it or not is another question,” Port Klang Authority general manager Lim Thean Shiang said during a briefing in Port Klang last Tuesday.

He said certain developments were necessary to cater to continued growth even though there may not be an immediately need for it.

“During recession one can only position oneself to be ready for the up and coming growth cycle, and if we do not have the adequate facilities available, how do we capitalise on such opportunities?” Lim said.

He said Port Klang would monitor the situation and hold consultations with ports on issues involving the development of the ports.

Northport managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Basheer Hassan Abdul Kader was quoted as saying in November last year that it would keep its RM500 million expansion plans on track.

The plan includes the development of a 350m container berth, bringing the container quayline at the port to a total of 3.4km.

By : btimes.com.my

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Bookmark and Share